Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Survival Chronicles of Jim- Chapter 18

Back again. I haven't been as busy these past weeks as I'd like to have been. It seems that I have been one a long road...and there is no end in site.

Most of your preppers out there would have to admit that there really is no end in sight in getting prepared for TEOTWAWKI. There is always something to do, something to buy and ALWAYS another idea or tip out there.

When I start to get a little anxiety over the latest economic news I try to rationalize that I am much better off than I was nine months ago. At least I have a re-location plan, a Survival Bug Out Bag, some stored food - both the long term storage and more short term food,.....I have a growing cache near the cabin. I have some Silver coins (for their silver melt value) as well as some Silver bullion in the form of one ounce rounds. I have a Survival firearms battery of a 12 gauge shotgun, a .22 LR pistol and a Mosin-Nagant rifle. I also have a .22 LR up at the cabin in cache.

Again, haven't been as busy as I'd like. Still considering an AR type M-4 rifle or something similar. Urban Man also had me look at Ruger Mini-14's which I really like but they are only about $250-$300 cheaper than an M-4. Urban Man says the two disadvantages with the Ruger Mini-14, compared to the AR rifles, are the lack of magazine compatibility with the millions of M-4 and available magazines, and, the inherent inaccuracy versus the M-4. I'm not too concerned about the accuracy thing since I am not really a shooter, but I do intend to get better and maybe attend a shooting school.

These past weeks I did however get some 3/4 inch plywood and two by fours cut for the windows of my house. Found a couple picnic bench tables at a flea market which will form the basis of shooting platforms from my small basement windows.

I also picked up six rolls of duct tape, a roll of 3 mil black and clear plastic sheeting and some small hand tools: I bought a folding metric and standard allen wrench set and some small open/box wrenches; a hammer and several boxes of nails from 8D to 16D; plus a hacksaw and small hand rip saw.

This coming week I am supposed to go with Urban Man to the range and shoot my shotgun and handgun some more - so that means more ammunition. At the last couple range sessions Urban Man has been letting me shoot several handguns to see what I may be interested in. These include: a Glock 19 in 9mm; a Glock 22 in .40 S&W; a Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm; two H&K handguns - a USP-C and a P2000 both in .40 S&W; and, a Smith and Wesson 586 .357 Magnum revolver.

Haven't heard from Neomi, probably better since she told me about having to include her mother and sister and children into any Survival plan she is a part of. Still I have to be prepared for people who show up at my place at the beginning or into a economic or other collapse asking for refuge. And undoubtedly Neomi and her relatives would be among the first, unless she gets a boyfriend first, ha ha.

Anyway, I think I am getting better, how about you?

2 comments:

  1. I'd go with 9mm because ammo is a lot cheaper in the 9mm caliber. I recommend either the Glock or a Taurus 92 which is basically a beretta for less. You can get magazines for it at $15 dollars a piece from Cheaperthandirt.com. The glock mags are cheap too but double the price. In the end, my defensive portion of my preperation came down to Several different weapons but most in the same caliber so I could save on ammo cost. 9mm, .40, .223, .22. Each weapon has it's specific purpose. I have a M4 and it's my primary weapon/rifle. My Taurus 92 is my side arm. I would go with my .40 but I find I can carry more 9mm rounds then .40 rnds. The way I see it, in the end my most valuable caliber will have to be the .22. I can buy over 10k rounds with $100, and you can use it for defensive purposes when engaging threats from a safe location and save your more more powerful and valuable ammo (.223) for other situation when needed. All my prep group members have agreed to stick with the same calibers so if something happened to anyone member we can make use of their weapons and ammo. I've put a lot of thought into weapons selection and the most efficient and economical way to approach it because I'd like to save money for other neccessities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARs are nice. If you have the $$$ get one. If you dont, look at the Saiga AKs. Got one in .223 $489.00 VERY pleased with it. Got a good 1K rounds through it 0 issues. Thinkin about gettind a 2nd one.

    ReplyDelete