Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Survival Chronicles of Jim – Chapter 12

Continuing my Urban Survival Preparation with Survival Gear and Equipment procurement, I ordered and received two Motorola MR350 FRS/GMRS radios and charger. Although I preferred to have FRS radios that worked on replaceable AA batteries so I could simplify my power supplies through recharging the AA batteries with my 12v Energizer vehicle charger, these radio came with re-chargeable batteries. I can charge the batteries, in a crisis, using a 12v to 110/115v vehicle inverter which I’ll need to buy.

Before my son left for college, when he was in middle school through high school, I was in the habit of putting all my change in a glass jar for him. Once a year or so he would take the coins to the bank and convert to paper money. I have continued to do that but the glass jar has grown to several containers. A few days ago I emptied out the jar and found six pre-’65 Roosevelt dimes, four pre-’65 Washington Quarters and eleven post-’64 Kennedy Half Dollars.

Using the Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator from http://www.silvercoinstoday.com, I determined that the Roosevelt dimes were worth $7.98 (from a $0.60 face value); the Washington Quarters worth $13.30 (from a $1.00 face value); and, the Kennedy Half Dollars worth $29.92 (from a $5.50 face value). Wow! Now I have over $50 in melt value of silver coins to add to the 10 one-ounce Silver Rounds I just bought for close to $200.

I am going to re-double my efforts to look at every coin that passes through my hands,...maybe I can find some more old Silver coins valuable for their silver melt value.

I also went to COSTCO and bought three 50 lb bags of dog food, two 10 lb bags of rice, and two cases each of Green Beans, Peas, Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Campbell's Vegetable Soup. As I finish up each case or bag, I’ll replace it so I always have a supply on hand. Remember it’s just me. Although Neomi may end up staying with me in the immediate aftermath of a collapse, my Urban Survival Plan includes Bugging Out to the family cabin in the mountains.

I still plan on buying some more dehydrated food, mainly fruit and powered eggs, from EarthWaveLiving.

Be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment