Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Survival Chronicles of Jim – Chapter 3


Got a Shotgun! A Mossberg Model 500 Tactical. Mine is a standard blued model, but you can buy them in Mossy Oak or similar camouflage. To tell you the truth I can't remember the difference between Woodland and Mossy Oak or whatever. I remember the Survival guys telling me to stay away from camouflaged items as they tend to stand out and bring more scrutiny, particularly from persons of authority. I also purchased 25 rounds of #8 shot birdshot, 25 rounds of 00 buckshot and 10 rounds of 1 ounce Slugs to start. I plan on buying additional ammunition every month,…25 rounds here and there until I have a basic load. I also bought a 12 gauge brass bore brush but neglected to buy a cleaning rod, solvent and oil which I’ll pickup tonight on the way home.

I got to say having a shotgun in the house makes me feel a lot safer. I realize that I need to not only start shooting it regularly but to also get one of my Law Enforcement pals to give me some pointers. I really like the shot shell carrier on the collapsible stock of the shotgun where I can store six additional rounds of 12 gauge, as I am only loading three rounds in the tubular magazine as per guidance from the Survival guys. I am also going to order a V-TAC padded Tactical Sling from www.vikingstactics.com

I picked up a Camel Bak Talon backpack with hydration bladder to serve as my Survival Bug Out Bag. Added six of the MRE’s I was given and my extra flashlight batteries, but could not decide on storing my flashlight inside the Bug Out Bag or keep by my night stand. I understand now when I was told that a person needs multiple flashlights, a re-charger and a good store of re-chargeable batteries.
Until next time - stay prepared!