Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Survival Chronicles of Jim – Chapter 1

My name is Jim and I must admit that prior to meeting these guys who call themselves the “Survival Cadre”, I would have defined survival as making it through Christmas dinner at my ex-wife’s, and would have defined preparation as having two days worth of snacks at the house during football weekends.

I’m a computer programmer by trade and my work brought me in contact with two of the survival cadre who work for a Federal Law Enforcement Agency. I would often find myself in the fringes of conversations about guns, repelling home invasions and preparing for some sort of infrastructure failure. Got me thinking, they did.

Living in a fairly secluded cul-de-sac near the center of a large metropolitan area I soon took their advice and bought a gun. $350 dollars later I was the proud owner of my first gun, a twenty two caliber Semi-Automatic Handgun with a couple of spare magazines. A concealed carry class soon followed with practice draws and magazine changes at my house in the evenings. I live alone, not counting my rather large dog, which I am told is another step towards personal protection – a living alarm system.

I intend to write posts for this site, in a semi organized Chapter format, as I become mentored and coached towards a better prepared lifestyle with a much higher survival quotient. I think about my next steps as the “Survival Cadre” coach me in my options and possible survival situations. I’m not necessarily buying into the total Armageddon concept, but I do see their point as storms and floods degrade the South California infrastructure and make many residents dependant upon themselves, as well as the recent earthquake in Haiti depicting looting and anarchy in that country.

I have been asked to imagine large banking failures and high inflation creating another Great Depression and to determine what preparations, survival equipment and skills I may find not only handy but vital in a situation where a large section of the population is unemployed and hungry; gas supply short and lines long, and, food expensive and getting short of supply.

Follow me as I learn survival skills, procure survival gear and make plans for my survival.