Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Full Automatic Weapons for Survival?


GB has left a new comment on your post Urban Survival Firearms - M-4/M-16/AR-15 Magazines...: "Do you have an opinion on installing a bump stock on a Carbon-15?"

I actually had to look this up as I had never heard of the "Bump Stock" or "Bump Firing". Although this stock does not turn a semi-automatic firearm into an automatic weapon, it allows the shooter full automatic like control and capability.

So for GB, my answer is "Yes, I now have an opinion and No, I will not be adding a Bump Stock or Bump Fire Stock to my equipment load list, for several reasons:

1 - God forbid I ever have to use any of M-4's or other semi-automatics when a life is on the line, I want to be as accurate as possible - I don't need a stock moving around to become another factor to overcome or master.
2 - A couple of those would eat up my ammunition reserves in short order.

Automatic weapons can be useful for certain situations. Walking at night on patrol and having a chance contact with a large group of armed bandits,.......using a high volume of supressing fire to allow the rest of your team to manuever,.....useful as a final protective fire and breaking the back of an assault on your property or defensive position,...... but in a midst of a collapse where the availability of ammunition would probably be finite and therefore the conservation of ammunition a critical task, I would feel just fine with semi-autos only.

I would not pass up a great deal on a old Belgian MAG-58 with 20 cases of linked 7.62, but I ain't going to put it at the top of my priority list either.

GB,...I would rather spend $300+ on an additional 800 rounds of ammunition or practically anything else. I am not bad mouthing the creators of the Bump Fire type products,...they evidentally have plenty of business,....they just aren't going to get mine. However, be that as it may, here is a video on one of these
products.

 

3 comments:

  1. Some years back (1983) I bought a mini-14 and took it to a well known and popular place to shoot guns in the hills/mountains in Southern California. After taking a few shots I decided to try to bump fire it. Worked pretty good and fired the entire clip in a few seconds. I set the gun under a blanket in the back of my car and took out a 30-06 I had recently purchased and fired it a couple of times. Then I heard a car driving the mountain road and turned around to see a black sedan with four "men in black" inside drive by. They gave me the once over but kept going. There is zero doubt in my mind they were ATF waiting nearby for that unmistakable sound of a full automatic at a popular shooting "range" in the hills. Watch where you take your guns to shoot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full auto for civilian use is limited in practicality, and very expensive. I have shot several machine guns, and qualified expert on them while on active duty, but could not afford to feed them on my dime. I really do think that in a limited logisitical(no resupply) situation that full auto capability could result in having a very expensive club, and no back up. Even while on active duty most of the personell on a patrol do not have their weapons on full auto mode, because of the waste involved. I would not be so eager to be engaged in any firefight, trust me they suck hard, and as a civilian, should not be so obvious as to bring any hostile into my AO. Full auto does have a place, but most groups would not benefit from either this or "bump firing", and would be at a tactical disadvantage in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seconded! (or thirded?). Don't get me wrong - it's cool. I would buy one - only if - I had absolutely everything on my prep list, my house paid off, my retirement fully funded, the kids college funds taken care of, a paid-for sports car, and several "for fun" rifles. Again, bump-fire = cool maybe, but not very practical.

    For me, the main issue is that there is so much on the "to get" list that is practical / functional. Also guys, practice your preps. Just got back from a long weekend outdoors adventure and discovered new holes in my system. It all adds up (cost-wise), and you only find out by DOING. Don't be an arm-chair prepper only and then find out on D-Day you should have got X, Y, or Z. So just from the standpoint of there is so, so much you can get that has a value above and beyond "that's cool", for me, I'm with Urban Man and HalfElf - put your $ to better use.

    ReplyDelete