Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bad Advice on Survival Firearms?

I received this e-mail taking me to task for advocating sub-standard weapons for survival……”I have no idea why you would advocate people getting Mosin-Nagants and Double Barreled shotguns for Survival weapons. The threat is going to come from very well armed groups of people with bad intent. A five shot ancient rifle and a two shot shotgun will only give these people a false sense of security. They are going to need weapons just like the military. I have an older HK91, an M1A1 and two brand new Bushmaster model 4 carbines just like the Army M-4. I have several different 9mm pistols. Would never own a double barreled shotgun! Are you kidding me?”.

UrbanMan replies: Hey, I’m all for taking constructive criticism. But,.......

The first rule to a gunfight (or for SHTF protection for that matter) is “to have a gun”. Have you ever been in a gunfight? I know full well the value of good weaponry and the skill to use it. However, refer back to rule #1. Some people cannot afford the latest in civilianized military firearms. If someone has serviceable rifles, shotguns and handguns and has not done anything else to prepare for hard times, then what would you suggest their next preparation priorities be? Trade in their "obsolete" firearms for the latest piston M-4?

I would think the best answer would have to be the steps they are willing to do and have the resources to do as well. Buying and stocking food come to mind. Having stored water and the capability to store more...... Building a Bug Out Bug....Developing a plan.....Maybe having a little bit of Silver or Coins for Silver Melt value.....Having some good clothes and gear. These would all be necessary before upgrading your survival firearms. In my humble opinion.

For example, Jim who often writes a post for this site called "Survival Chronicles of Jim" is a great example of someone who has come from total ignorance of survival preparation to a pretty decent readiness posture, despite his lack of any military or law enforcement experience or even wilderness skills. He realized the necessity of firearms yet he has centered his "survive the collapse" firearms battery around a couple handguns, a Mosin-Nagant rifle, an SKS and a 12 gauge riot shotgun. Purchasing a $1,000 or more rifle was too far out of his comfort zone.

But for the record, I have never, nor would I encourage or recommend a survival prepper starting from scratch to sink money into “antique” firearms. Although, the more important component is the skill at using these weapons. Ask the Russians armed with modern AK-74 assault rifles who went against Mujh armed with bolt action Short Magazine Lee Enfields just how important skill is.

7 comments:

  1. Just my .02 but any gun in your hand at the time of trouble is far better than having a bunch of money hidden away waiting for a gun sale or to have the right amount of money to buy that M-4 clone. I've got water, shelter, food and guns that won the west with experience of 30 yrs using them. Not an AR or AK anywhere in my supplies. I'm happy with my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good response UrbanMan. I think a lot of preppers out there have a skewed sense of reality. In other words how likely is the worst-case scenario to occur? Living in earthquake and wildfire country we have built our preparations, and planning, around the most likely event scenarios. Mobs of famished, displaced, and desperate people fleeing are on our threat assessment matrix, but farther down the list.

    We eat what we store for food and every weapon we buy has to have at least two uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt when TSHTF bad guys will do bad things. But I don't for a second believe everyone will be in fire fights. In fact I think it will be the exception not the rule. Be prepared? Sure. But to assume your biggest threat is from gangs or para-military groups is not reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Urbanman.

    I see many people (guys and gals) shoot their Mosin Nagants more accurately than the ninjas with their AR15's at the local range.

    Personally Id rather have a competent person with a bolt action - placing his shots. Rather than a person with the latest and greatest 'tacticool' semiauto, burning his (and eventually my) ammunition.

    Bolt action/single shot rifles, shotguns (along with revolvers) will be operational long after the semi autos have been worn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think people obtain what they can afford. I would like to find an inexpensive, decent quality shotgun with the ability to change out grips from standard to pistol. I can't afford an ak47 or ar15. I also don't see the point of looking for firefights. Avoid, evade, obfuscate, lie and safely get to your base of operations or safe spot is the best strategy. I pray I can make it out to the country and establish a base of operations before shtf. I live in the peoples republic of Los Angeles and I feel like I am behind enemy lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll also add that getting into firefights with the wolves is just stupid and a waste of medical supplies and lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS YOU'RE GOING TO NEED--BUT YOU HAD BETTER HAVE SELF PROTECTION IN MIND FIRST--THIS MEANS FIREARMS AND KNIVES--THERE WILL BE NO LAW ENFORCEMENT TO CALL ON OR EXPECT TO SHOW UP AND PROTECT ANYONE--THIS IS FEND FOR YOURSELF TIME--JUST SOME OBSERVATIONS OVER A 30 YEAR LAW ENFORCEMENT CAREER--MORE PERSONS ARE KILLED WITH A 22 CALIBER ANYTHING THAN ALL OTHERS COMBINED--WITH A 22 I WOULDNT HESITATE TO MAKE A HEAD SHOT ON ANYONE--YOU WONT GET UP FROM IT AND IF BY SOME MIRACLE YOU DID YOU WONT BE A THREAT TO ANYONE--YOU ARE GOING TO BE A SCAVENGER FROM MINUTE ONE OF THIS SITUATION--SO AS SOON AS THE COAST IS CLEAR--RETRIEVE AND USE ANY DOWNED HOSTILES WEAPONRY FOR YOUR OWN USE--DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING FOR ANOTHER POTENTIAL ENEMY TO USE AGAINST YOU-A 22 ALLOWS CHEAP PRACTICE AND BUILDS SKILL SO THAT WHEN YOU CAN MOVE UP IN CALIBER YOU HAVE A FOUNDATION TO BUILD MORE SKILL WITH--ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS WHEN LEARNING TO SHOOT "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"--IF YOU DRAW BUTTONS ON A SHILOETTE TARGET AND LEARN TO SHOOT THEM AT VARIOUS RANGES--THE SHOOTING SOME THUG IN THE EYE AT ANY RANGE WITH A 22 WILL COME EASY AND END ANY PROBLEM YOUR HAVING AT THE TIME--SURE GET LARGER CALIBERS IF YOU CAN AS SOON AS YOU CAN--BUT DON'T FRET IF YOU START OUT WITH A 22

    ReplyDelete