Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Urban Survival Preparation - Baby Boomer Couple Preparing

UrbanSurvivalSkills.com received the following interesting letter: "I read your site several times a week. Allow me to introduce myself and my wife, call us Jim and Maybelle. We live in the desert Southwest and although my house and plot are not fenced, and we have on open field on one side, and we are across a two lane state road from a sub-division we still call ourselves urbanites.

I am 63 years old, my wife 61. I did well enough in several business enterprises to retire early with a small pension from a 401k and now rely on rental house income, a home based business income and early social security. I am an outdoorsman and have hunted for nearly four decades including the hunt trip of a lifetime in Africa. I saw the way this country was going several years ago and started to position much of my assets for better short term control.

I like the Chapters on Jim and more recently the discussion on whether or not to have Gold and Silver. Actually it is a no brainer. All should have at least a small quantity of Silver, the easiest and cheapest to procure. A small amount bought each month can stack up fairly quickly. I did not start buying either until three years ago. I am certainly glad I did. I own a few rifles and sporting shotguns but never bought anything for "personal defense" until a couple years ago. Now my wife and I are pretty competent with Springfield XD-45 pistols and I just bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223 and I am incredibly impressed by this little, lightweight gun.

I am not quite to the point where my wife and I are willing to give up our great life accessing restaurants, close friends, the local gym and swimming pool but understand very well that where we are at may be an untenable place to live due to close proximity to a large population who will surely be "have nots". Thanks for the constant reminders about building a survival team but for many people this is not feasible. I have a private joke about building a survival squad of geriatrics! I did however buy a Range Rover and am getting better prepared all the time to "Bug Out" as you call it. Also have started a garden which is the first time we have grown anything at all besides flowers.

If you can manage it, how about writing something on vehicle preparedness, tools, maybe some common supplies to keep vehicles running during a collapse where maintenance providers will not be available? Thanks for all the information so far!"

2 comments:

  1. Bugging out is my plan Z. It is extremely risky and only to be undertaken if bugging in is even riskier. This does not apply to common every day disasters like Hurricanes or flooding but to TEOTWAWKI type disasters. You need a place to go and you need prepositioned supplies at your bugout destination. If you don't have these things then you are a refugee and soon to become a statistic. We could see any kind of major disaster from WW III to asteroid strike. But most likely it will be a great depression. Have a safe place to bug in, preferably with no mortgage. Have a garden, wood stove, a well and a years supply of food. Some silver and gold would be nice too. And have a gun for protection and a .22 for small game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an exciting new opportunity that is gaining rapid popularity online.

    Large companies are paying people for sharing their opinions!

    You can get anywhere up to $5 - $75 per each survey!

    This is available to anybody in the world!

    ReplyDelete